BNF Drummond Internships
The current application period is now closed.
BNF internships typically last up to three months, although may be shorter. An internship may be based around a specific project or a number of smaller aspects of work. These are presently open to undergraduates, graduates and postgraduates in human nutrition/dietetics (internships may take place during vacation periods, in between courses or after a student has finished higher education).
Following good practice advice, the following are not considered to be internships:
- work tasters or work shadowing where people do not perform work for the organisation, but simply observe a profession for a brief period to learn about the practical aspects of a possible career;
- part-time, full-time or vacation work unrelated to the pursuit of a professional career;
- work undertaken by students to finance their studies.
What you can expect
BNF can provide an extremely valuable professional experience before embarking on a career. Our aim is to be world class in the interpretation and translation of complex scientific information in order to generate and communicate clear, accurate, accessible information on nutrition, diet and lifestyle, which is relevant to the needs of diverse audiences. Through active engagement with governments, schools, industry, health professionals and journalists, we also aim to provide advice to help shape and support policy and to facilitate improvement in the diet and physical activity patterns of the population.
Interns will receive an induction at the beginning of the internship (introducing the intern to the BNF, its staff and work plan) and will have a member of BNF staff who will act as their supervisor/mentor. They will provide regular feedback and support, conduct performance reviews and conduct a formal review to evaluate the placement at the end of the period. On completion of the internship, the intern will be provided with a BNF/Drummond Internship certificate. The intern can also highlight the experience on their CV and future job applications.
Remuneration for an internship will be £1,000 per month. BNF operates standard 9am-5pm office hours every weekday (with one hour for lunch). Interns will be reimbursed for any necessary work-related expenses, such as travel costs incurred to attend external meetings and events (not travel to and from the office).
BNF provides the opportunity for three internships during each 12 month period (June to May). Interns may have a specific focus or be more general.
Intern positions currently available during the next period are:
- Nutrition intern. The main focus of this internship will be on applying healthier eating and drinking principles to catering. Other smaller projects will also be set. This internship will run during the autumn period (2012).
- Nutrition intern. The main focus of this internship will be assisting in the development of health education activities for a variety of school settings. Other smaller projects will also be set. This internship will run during the winter/spring period (2013).
- Nutrition intern. The main focus of this internship will be supporting the development of health and wellbeing at work materials. Other smaller projects will also be set. This internship will run during the spring/summer period (2013).
Application period is now closed.
- © British Nutrition Foundation 2012