National Curriculum (England)
With the introduction of new food, cooking and nutrition aspects of the National Curriculum in England from September 2014, BNF is busy developing a range of support materials for schools to help with implementation. These resources will help schools unpack the slim-line curriculum (looking at progression, challenge and attainment), plan Schemes of Work and implement high quality food, cooking and nutrition teaching via new resources.
To support BNF is:
- devising a food, cooking and nutrition progression framework, in partnership with others;
- creating non-statutory guidance, specifically Schemes of Work for Year Groups 1 to 9, including individual Lesson plans for all years;
- developing a range classroom resources, in line with curricular need and supporting best teaching practice;
- organising 12 online training events, 6 for primary and 6 for secondary, showcasing how food can be integrated into the new curriculum, highlighting new resources and other opportunities.
All this support will be provided free of charge after the Easter break, and will be accessed via the Food – a fact of life website. We will update you as the work progresses and let you know when the resources become available.
- © British Nutrition Foundation 2013