Milk and dairy foods
- Try to use lower fat versions such as skimmed, 1% fat or semi skimmed milks and reduced fat cheese products.
- This group does not include butter, eggs and cream as these fit into other food groups.
- Fromage frais
- Cottage cheese
- Fortified soya products and other calcium fortified milks such as nut and rice milks
What is a portion?
Some foods each day from this group will help provide your body with calcium. Examples of portion sizes of dairy that can help meet these needs are:
- 150g pot of yogurt
- 30g piece of cheese (matchbox size)
- 200ml average glass of milk*
*or a calcium fortified alternative
BNF have developed a resource that can be downloaded, see attachment below.
Last reviewed February 2014. Next review due February 2017.
- © British Nutrition Foundation 2014