In this article, you will find information for the general public who are interested in knowing how they can help reduce their risk of cancer.
The following sections provide tips on how diet and some lifestyle changes can help to lower your risk of cancer. This includes:
- Cancer risk
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet
- Diet and fibre
- Fruit and vegetables
- Red and processed meat
- Dietary supplements and Turmeric and cancer
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Staying physically active and Sedentary behaviour
- Drinking less alcohol
- What do these recommendations mean for me?
- FAQ on diet and cancer prevention
If you are a new mum then, breastfeeding may help to protect you and your baby from risk of certain cancers later in life.
Breastfeeding reduces the mother's risk of breast cancer.
Evidence also suggests that being breastfed may protect children against being overweight and obese, which in turn reduces their risk of cancer in the future.
Top tips for reducing your risk of cancer
The World Cancer Research Fund published a new report in May 2018 with updated recommendations for cancer prevention so these pages are due to be revised soon.