Try not to grab sweet snacks like biscuits, chocolate, cakes and pastries, or salty snacks like fried crisps or salted nuts. These foods can be high in fat, sugar and/or salt, so try to have healthier snacks on hand instead.
- Fresh fruit
- Fruit yogurt or plain yogurt sweetened with fruit
- Small wholemeal pitta or wrap with an oily fish dip (made with canned oily fish, low-fat cream cheese, lemon and pepper) and lettuce leaves
- Wholewheat crackers/crispbreads/oatcakes and reduced fat cheese
- Rice cakes with peanut butter
- Breadsticks or carrots/red pepper/cucumber batons with houmous
- Smoothies – made with plain yogurt/milk, banana and frozen berries (maximum of 150ml of smoothie a day)
- Plain nuts and seeds (without added salt)
Information reviewed November 2016
Help us improve
We'd love to hear your thoughts about this page below.
If you have a more general query, please contact us.
Please note that advice provided on our website about nutrition and health is general in nature. We do not provide any personal advice on prevention, treatment and management for patients or their family members.