The British Nutrition Foundation is a registered charity.
- We provide impartial, evidence-based information, resources and training on food and nutrition.
- BNF's vision is 'Everyone can access healthy, sustainable diets' and it is contributing towards this through its Mission ‘Translating evidence-based nutrition science in engaging and actionable ways’.
- We do not lobby, endorse any products, engage in food advertising campaigns or allow commercial or political pressure to influence us when publishing or disseminating information.
- We are a founding member of The Academy of Nutrition Sciences - a joint initiative between the Association for Nutrition (AfN), the British Dietetic Association (BDA), the British Nutrition Foundation (BNF) and the Nutrition Society (NS) - a collective voice for evidence-based nutrition science.
- Our Trustees ensure that we deliver our charitable aims, are impartial, transparent and act with integrity. The Foundation's governance structure (described in the Articles of Association), which comprises a Board of Trustees, Advisory Committee, Scientific Committee, Editorial Advisory Board, Education Working Groups and a Nominations Committee, on which serve senior/experienced individuals from many walks of life. The composition is deliberately weighted towards the scientific ‘academic’ community, based in universities and research institutes, and those from education, finance, media, communications and HR backgrounds.
- BNF’s funding comes from: membership subscriptions; donations and project grants from food producers and manufacturers, retailers and food service companies; contracts with government departments; conferences, publications and training; overseas projects; funding from grant providing bodies, trusts and other charities.
- We have a robust nutrition and health information production procedure, and are in the process of assessment to become certified members of the Patient Information Forum PIF Tick the only UK quality mark for trustworthy health information.
- We are proud of our long-established reputation for partnership working. What sets BNF apart is its ability to bring together those with an interest in food and nutrition from diverse sectors - academia, medicine, education, communication and the food chain.
Help us improve
We'd love to hear your thoughts about this page below.
If you have a more general query, please contact us.
Please note that advice provided on our website about nutrition and health is general in nature. We do not provide any personal advice on prevention, treatment and management for patients or their family members.