The Scientific Committee advises on the interpretation and translation of scientific information in order to generate and communicate clear accurate, accessible information on nutrition, diet and lifestyle, which is relevant to the needs of the diverse audiences which BNF serves.
It comprises up to 30 representatives, who are appointed by the Senior Leadership Team (ensuring representations from different sectors, diversity, capability, skills and experience). Representatives may serve for a maximum tenure of two, three-year terms (plus one additional year, if requested by BNF. At least two-thirds must not have a personal financial interest in the commercial food industry. The committee meets at least twice per year.
- Professor D Stensel, University of Loughborough
- Professor P Rogers, University of Bristol
- Professor J Thompson, University of Birmingham
- Dr A Brown, University College London
- Dr E Dimidi, King's College London
- Ms E Jesper-Mir, Wellcome Trust/Sense about science
- Professor L Methven, University of Reading
- Professor E Stevenson, University of Newcastle
- Mrs B Monks, Food education consultant
- Dr J Stewart, University Hospitals of Leicester
- Dr D Mellor, Aston University
- Dr G Kuhnle, University of Reading
- Mrs L Farrell, Nutrition & Health Manager Product Quality Tesco
- Mrs L Street, Nutrition Manager Marks & Spencer
- Dr K Karnick, Vice President of Global Nutrition and Open Innovation Tate & Lyle
- Mrs N Gillet, Nutrition & Health Development Manager Allied Bakeries
- Mrs B Bray MBE, Independent Registered Nutritionist and Food Safety consultant
- Prof T Sanders, Emeritus Professor of Nutrition & Dietetics at Kings College London
- Dr L Wilson, Richmond and Wandsworth Councils
- Professor J MacDiarmid, University of Aberdeen
Help us improve
We'd love to hear your thoughts about this page below.
If you have a more general query, please contact us.
Please note that advice provided on our website about nutrition and health is general in nature. We do not provide any personal advice on prevention, treatment and management for patients or their family members.